Thursday, March 27, 2014

Fireplace Oak Mantel and Marble Tile Remodel - Before & After



We started working on the mantel remodel in December after Ivy was born. Since then we've been busy with raising a newborn and everything that comes with that. 

On the weekends, I've been slowly chipping away the tiling portion of this job. Admittedly, the project took longer than I'd like, but I took my time getting everything updated since I'd never tiled before.

We started with refinishing the hearth. The old bricks tiles popped out fairly easily and I didn't have to cut too much tile for the job. I also spent a lot of time preparing the different brick surfaces for tile by coating them in thin set, which was a lot like floating joint compound.

Photos below document my progress from mantel pre and post tile.

Finished mantel before we tiled. Looks pretty good, probably could have stopped here if we had to.

Hearth was step one. You can see I dry fitted everything before laying the tile. The bricks are white from thin set.

The top row was a skinny long cut, so I just had Lowe's make a bunch of these tiles to save me the work.

This Old House recommended starting the vertical tiles across the top, with a ledger strip to guide the tiles across.

Pulled off the ledger guide and ready for the verticals strips.

I taped together my sections so the tiles stayed together.

Labeling helps keep things in order (A,B,C)

Tiles glued to wall, after grout.

Detail of finished job.

I repainted the cavity black - it has this empty clean feel now. 

Becca found the perfect side table and bird to complete the design.

Viola! Job is done - 4 months later - yikes. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job with this remodel! It's way better than the old design, which was quite plain and simple. I think it’s probably the combination of oak mantle and marble tiles that gave your fireplace more character. This is quite remarkable! Thanks for sharing!

    Lindsey Mckenzie @ Buchanan Fire and Outdoor

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fireplace’s look has improved greatly because of the addition of marble tiles, and it even matches the marble table that you placed next to it! The marble tiles really blends perfectly well with the oak mantle, as it gives a very classy appearance. Thank you for sharing this remarkable remodel of your fireplace!

    Debra Newman @ Unique Stone Concepts

    ReplyDelete

twitter test