Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ahoy Matey

Happy National Talk Like a Pirate Day!

I love flags. As a graphic designer, some of the most beautiful designs I come across are flags. The bold colors and the geometry are easy to geek out on. Our house is very symmetrical, with two brick pillars that hold up the porch. The face of them is wide enough for a flag to perfectly sit, almost as though they were made for a flag on either side.

We decided to get bold with our front porch and now proudly have two flags. Our first set are naval themed thanks to my good friend, Ryan, who made me aware of their rich history. Apparently ships used the flags to communicate to one another. We like the bold design of the flag that means the letter a, or alpha.

The alpha flag matches our future color scheme for our house (more on that soon), and also has a nice angular end, for a little medieval times touch.



Believe it or not, I actually bought a special drill for this project. Drilling holes into brick is neither easy nor fast so I purchased a hammer drill to get the job done so I could attach the flag bracket to the bricks. Each hole took about ten minutes to drill, so I don't plan on drilling any more holes anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter test