Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fresh from the Garden



We're beginning to bring in more from our backyard garden. I love fresh cut flowers, so now that our sunflowers are beginning to bloom our table shall remain adorned for some time.



I just brought in our largest tomato harvest yet - a few dozen grape tomatoes AND . . . our first Roma! We've been enjoying lots of grape tomatoes - on salads and just for a snack. They're very hearty and juicy. We have a few Big Boy Tomatoes (a name that deserve capital letters) that are green and should be ready very soon.



Also coming soon: cantaloupe



bell peppers



jalapenos



corn



and mammoth sunflowers



just to name a few . . .

I've learned a few important lessons from this year's garden. First, I will never plant pole beans again. Apparently bush beans are the way to go. I love fresh green beans and definitely want to grow them again, but not if I have to stake the plants and regularly untangle the long shoots off the plants. Next year - bush beans. Second, I've had to thin out this year's plants. It broke my heart to pull zucchini, squash, cantaloupe and cucumber plants out of the ground, but they take up MUCH more space than I allowed for them initially. As of a few weeks ago, we could no longer walk around the garden beds. I like to attribute this problem to my incredible gardening skills, but it's a problem nonetheless. So next year, maybe 2-3 of each plant (rather than 23 - oops!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter test