Sunday, October 3, 2010

MIghty Magnolia

Last summer for our first anniversary, Chris brought home a magnolia tree for me. A brackens brown magnolia to grow forever in our front yard.



I got him a garden gnome.



The tree was about five and a half feet tall when we planted it (about my height) and now it's about six and a half feet tall (about Chris' height). Great progress for its first year in the ground, I must say.

It's a bit of a strange tree, with enormous white blooms in the spring and big waxy green leaves that fall off in June. We sometimes have to tell people that no, it's not dying - its fall is June.



What I often forget is that it has a fall trick too when it makes the most amazing pods of bright red seeds where the blooms had been the previous spring.







Naturally, the squirrels love them. Stupid squirrels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter test