Monday, April 11, 2011

Greener Grass

Wrigley snuggling with the happy grass

I thought it would never happen. A lush green lawn  — and not the "I-just-bought-some-sod-and-rolled-it-out" kind, but an actual thick green turf that grew on its own, well kinda. And Wrigley agrees that it feels good underpaw.

The secret? Well, I guess you could say drugs ... and some dedication.

My grass is all hopped up on seed, fertilizer and weed control. Its a slow process that takes some serious faith in the green grass system. Let me be the first to tell you that if you stick with it for a couple seasons, you will begin to see results that are very satisfying. But it does take time.

What I learned in the process:
1. Fescue is the best for my sunny yard, and not bluegrass.
2. Leaves left in grass will suffocate your grass over the winter.
3. If you are in a drought, its pretty hard to keep grass alive without a sprinkler system.
4. Clover won't die without weed killer.
5. Mow your lawn at its highest setting to let the good grass control the yard and block weeds from getting sun (this one is really important and took me two seasons to actually believe).
6. Spring is for preventing weeds, fall is for seeding and preparing the lawn for the next year.
7. A lawn aerator is a big scary machine that pokes holes in the earth and can pull you anywhere.

Wrigley approves.

Finally, grass I can walk on barefoot

1 comment:

twitter test