Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Urban Gardening, Year Two


Can you believe that just one year ago, our backyard alley still looked like a jungle? Yuck - it gives me chills just thinking about it. It wasn't until Memorial Day last year that we had our raised garden beds ready to fill and plant, so things weren't growing until nearly June! I'd say it was worth waiting for though - you can see the final product of our work here, and how nice it was once everything finally began growing by July here.

Well, I'm proud to announce that since we didn't have to first lay 1,600 cobblestones, or build up a retaining wall this year, we're much better on our planting schedule! Here are some pictures of our budding garden.  
Wrigley seems to approve.

Last year I planted 4 strawberry plants, which produced approximately 7 berries. They spread and spread like crazy though, and I have a feeling we'll have a FEW more this year. 

Lettuce was our absolute favorite thing last year, and is sprouting nicely again! 

Last fall C and I noticed these two plaster relief "thingies" in the parking lot of a closed-down restaurant down the street. We watched for weeks and they didn't move, so we finally claimed them for ourselves. One was broken into 4 pieces, so C was kind enough to repair it with Bondo (oh the things Bondo can fix - better than duct tape!) and hung them up for me this weekend. Aren't they fun?


I think they're a nice accent next to our little seating area! 


Our final garden plants ended up being:

Arugula
Romaine Lettuce
Buttercrunch Lettuce
Spinach
Beets
Broccoli
Green Beans (growing up Sweet Corn)
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Strawberries
Heirloom Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Roma Tomatoes
Bell Peppers
Jalapenoes
Zucchini
Basil
Rosemary
Mint

Stay tuned for more pictures, and hopefully lots of yummy meal posts!

3 comments:

  1. WOW! What an amazing transformation! I'm working on my urban garden right now. Just herbs atm, but part of my earth day promise was to expand to full on veggies and to apply for a Yes to Seed Fund grant so my son's school will have a garden! woohoo!

    Keep us posted on your garden. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't supposed to plant anything until cinco de mayo. I'm not complaining given that we got 700 inches of powder this year, but I'm anxious to get the garden going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with the Yes to Seed Fund - I'll have to look it up. The school near us has a garden and I just love walking by!

    It's hot enough here that we can actually do some of our plants (lettuces, carrots, onions, etc.) twice a year here - in the spring and the fall. I didn't get to do it last year but am excited to try this year!

    ReplyDelete

twitter test