Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Solid Ground


This week I learned that sheetrocking is boring. Fortunately it's finally finished, and we're moving on to the next thing which is much less boring . . . (drum roll please) . . . hardwood floor installation! This is much more tangible progress, and considering that over the past two years I've walked barefoot outside about 1,000x more than I've walked barefoot on the kitchen floor - it's a huge, long-awaited improvement.

I came home over lunch to find the sheetrock guy wrapping up (yay!), a big pile of unfinished oak floorboards stacked in our kitchen and two guys looking thoughtfully around our subfloor. When I came home at the end of the day I saw this:


They're lacing the new floorboards into our existing ones to create a seamless look, so that only we (and all of you) will know which ones are 85 years old and which ones are brand new. The last week of the renovation the entire first floor will be refinished, completing our ruse.


At this point I'd say installation appears to be about 1/3 complete, so hopefully we'll have all the new floors in by the end of the week. Already I feel a huge difference walking on what's been installed. It's totally solid - no creaks, no soft spots. I can't wait to see it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter test