Thursday, February 24, 2011

Almost Spring!

Something feels wrong about writing about spring as I watch it snow outside. Nevertheless, we're almost out of winter and I've begun preparing for this year's garden. You may remember, we turned a neglected, overgrown old alley into a garden patio last year. All winter I've been planning this year's crops and earlier this month I began growing some of them in the basement.

Yes, I have crops in the basement.

I started some seeds under a grow light a few weeks ago, and now I just love going downstairs to see the progress of the little sprouts every day. So far we have tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, celery, basil, rosemary, marigolds and nasturtium sprouting. Broccoli gets planted this weekend.




Tiny basil sprouts, reaching for the light.


Tomatoes are taking off.


Little bitty celery plants.

According to Farmer's Almanac, I should be able to move these outside within the next month or so, and at the same time will begin planting seeds into the ground outside. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter test