Tuesday, February 15, 2011

New Mantel Plans

Our fireplace and mantel

Our current fireplace is, well, just kinda boring.

The rest of the living room has been nearly perfected, but we don't really dig the dirty old brick mantel and hearth. It's time for an update — and I can't wait to get started on it in a few weeks.

Until then, I am perfecting the design plans, which you can see below.

Initial mantel design with marble tile

My initial photoshopped solution is super simple. I made the design last winter, which carries the look of our house's millwork through to the mantle. Kinda a shaker/craftsman style.

Updated design with future fireplace insert.

The second design(more recent and to scale) is where I am heading with the look. We added some more details, changes in the profile and a ornamental footing.

Our plan for the area between the mantel and the firebox is to use Grecian White subway tile marble. For the hearth, similar subway tile, but in a dark Saint Laurent marble.

Saint Laurent and Grecian Marble

If you have any suggestions or ideas, let me know and maybe I can incorporate it into the final plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter test