Monday, May 2, 2011

Island Dreaming

  
Chris and I (well, mostly I) have gone back and forth many times on the design of our future kitchen island. When we knock out the wall in our kitchen the room will get much larger, but it's still a bit boxed in with walls on all four sides, so we want to make have things feel as open as possible. That said, I'm obsessed with adding as much storage as possible to our current storage-free kitchen.

So there lay our dilemma. The design-obsessed side of me wanted a nice, open island that would feel light and not imposing in the new kitchen. But the practical side of wanted to pack as many drawers and cabinets into the kitchen as possible.

Well, to Chris' great joy (and in response to his pleas) the designer side won. This weekend we found the perfect island to give us a nice, classic, open feel in the new space. 

Photo courtesy of John Boos

The walnut butcher block top will be tough and beautiful, the classically shaped white legs will be light and open (and leave plenty of space for some stools underneath) and the design overall feels open and classic. I gave up my ideas of storing stuff in the island, mostly due to the fact that we plan on adding LOTS of cabinets other places, and also plan on making the cabinets as "smart" as possible by customizing them to our needs.

Since landing on our decision, I've wavered a few times. Each time I do I just remind myself of what I'm most excited about with having an island in the kitchen - this will be a comfortable, special space to gather with friends and family and prepare meals together. I think we found the perfect means to that end!

No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter test