Monday, May 2, 2011

One Man's Stump . . .

Is another man's coaster?

BEFORE: Maple stump section

After: End-grain Maple coasters

My neighbor had a big stump in his driveway. It was too heavy to move, so I offered to take a chainsaw to it. I'm always looking for an excuse to fire up "the beast," and this past weekend, we put some wood chopping fury into the big old stump.

Once we sliced up the wood, I realized we were dealing with some really pretty maple. I asked for a small chunk to take back to the shop, Bryan obliged.

We counted 20+ rings in the entire stump

Cutting the stump into a cube was the biggest challenge. Once I had a flat edge to work with, I used a miter saw to chop up the wood into coaster slices.

The wood is surprisingly stiff. Almost feels like slices of light rock. We counted the rings, and it was something between 20-30 years old.

Bottoms up.

Trial run








1 comment:

  1. Pretty! So glad that crazy stump was useful. If you want more, please help yourself! And thank you so much for the use of the chain saw.

    ReplyDelete

twitter test